Discover the illustrious of iit madras notable alumni who have made remarkable contributions across various fields. Explore their achievements and the impact of this prestigious institution on their careers.
Table of Contents:
- Deans, Directors, and Presidents
- Professors and Scholars
- Arts and Entertainment
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Government and Politics
- Military and Defense
- Notable Faculty
Introduction: IIT Madras, renowned for its excellence in technical education, has produced a remarkable array of alumni who have gone on to make significant contributions to society. This article delves into the accomplishments of these distinguished individuals and the profound influence of their alma mater.
Deans, Directors, and Presidents iit madras notable alumni
- Timothy A. Gonsalves – 1st Director of Indian Institute of Technology Mandi.
- Ramayya Krishna – Dean of the Heinz College at Carnegie Mellon University.
- Shashi Nambisan – Professor of Civil Engineering at University of Tennessee Knoxville; ex-Director of the Center for Transportation Research and Education at Iowa State University.
- Gangan Pratap – Former Director National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resources; Honorary Professor, APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University; IIT Madras Distinguished Alumnus Award—1999.
- Bhaskar Ramamurthi – Professor of Electrical Engineering; Director of the Institute at IIT Madras; Doyens of Madras.
- Govindan Sundararajan – Former Director, International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy and New Materials (ARCI); Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology—1994; Padma Shri.
- B. N. Suresh – Founder Director (2007–2010) Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology; Padma Bhushan—2013; Padma Shri—2002; IIT Madras Distinguished Alumnus Award—2004.
- Subra Suresh – President of Carnegie Mellon University; former Director of the National Science Foundation; former Dean of Engineering at MIT.
Professors and Scholars iit madras notable alumni
- Arumugam Manthiram – Professor of Mechanical Engineering at University of Texas at Austin; Inventor of polyanion cathodes for lithium-ion batteries; Delivered the 2019 Nobel Prize Lecture in Chemistry; IIT Madras Distinguished Alumnus Award – 2015.
- Anant Agarwal – Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at MIT; CEO of EdX; holds a Guinness World Record for the largest microphone array; IIT Madras Distinguished Alumnus Award – 2014.
- Animashree Anandkumar – Bren Professor of Computing at California Institute of Technology; Director of Machine Learning research at NVIDIA.
- G. K. Ananthasuresh – Professor at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru; Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology.
- Hari Balakrishnan – Fujitsu Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at MIT; ACM SIGCOMM Test of Time Award—2011; ACM SIGMOBILE Test of Time Award—2017, 2018; ACM SIGOPS Hall of Fame Award—2015; ACM SIGMOD Test of Time Award—2017; 2020 Infosys Prize; 2021 IEEE Koji Kobayashi Award for Computers and Communications; Member of the National Academy of Engineering; Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Dipankar Banerjee – Professor in the Department of Materials Engineering Engineering of the Indian Institute of Science.
- Narayanan Chandrakumar – Chemical Physicist; Professor of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Madras; Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology—1996; J. C. Bose National Fellowship—2009.
- K. Mani Chandy – Simon Ramo Professor of Computer Science at the California Institute of Technology; A. A. Michelson Award of CMG (the Computer Measurement Group); Sherman Fairchild Fellowship; IEEE Koji Kobayashi Award for Computers and Communications; Fellow of the IEEE; Member of the National Academy of Engineering; 2014 Dijkstra Prize.
- Atul Chokshi – Professor, Materials Engineering, Indian Institute of Science Bangalore; Swarnajayanti Presidential Young Investigator Award; MRSI Medal; Metallurgist of the Year Award (Ministry of Steel & Mines); Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award, G.D. Birla Gold Medal (IIM); IIT Madras Distinguished Alumnus Award.
- S. A. Choudum – Professor at the Department of Mathematics, Indian Institute of Technology Madras.
- Premkumar Devanbu – Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of California, Davis; ACM SIGSOFT Outstanding Research Award; Alexander von Humboldt Research Award.
- Venkatesan Guruswami – Associate Professor at the Department of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University; ex-faculty at University of Washington.
- Viswanathan Kumaran – Professor, Indian Institute of Science.
- L. Mahadevan – de Valpine Professor of Applied Mathematics, Physics and Biology, Harvard University; MacArthur Fellow 2009; F.R.S. 2016.
- Pinaki Majumdar – Professor at Harish-Chandra Research Institute; Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology—2007.
- C. G. Krishnadas Nair – Author; Metallurgist; Padma Shri Laureate; IIT Madras Distinguished Alumnus Award—1996.
- Ramarathnam Narasimhan – Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Indian Institute of Science; IIT Madras Distinguished Alumni Award – 2016.
- Arvind Narayanan – Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Princeton University; PET Award for Outstanding Research in Privacy Enhancing Technology—2014.
- Sethuraman Panchanathan – Executive Vice President at ASU Knowledge Enterprise Development; Chief Research and Innovation Officer at Arizona State University (ASU).
- Shanthi Pavan – Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Madras.
- A. G. Ramakrishnan – Professor at Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru; Member, Karnataka Knowledge Commission, Senate Member, IIIT Allahabad; Manthan Awards 2014 and 2015; Founder-director of RaGaVeRa Indic Technologies Pvt Ltd.
- B.S. Sathyaprakash – Bert Elsbach Professor of Physics The Pennsylvania State University; Professor of Gravitational Physics Cardiff University; Associate, International Centre for Theoretical Sciences, Bangalore, India; Sathyaprakash Research Group.
- Mahadev Satyanarayanan – Carnegie Group Professor of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University; Principal architect and implementor of the Andrew File System (AFS).
- V. Srinivasan – The Adams Distinguished Professor of Management, Emeritus, Stanford University; IIT Madras Distinguished Alumnus Award—2001.
- Marti G. Subrahmanyam – Charles E. Merrill Professor of Finance at the Stern School of Business at New York University.
- Arun Sundararajan – Professor at Stern School of Business, New York University.
- Rusi Taleyarkhan – Professor, Nuclear Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana.
- Sridhar Tayur – Ford Distinguished Research Chair and Professor of Operations Management at the Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University; founder, SmartOps and OrganJet.
- Jayant B. Udgaonkar – Senior Professor, National Centre for Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research; J. C. Bose National fellow;
Arts and Entertainment iit madras notable alumni
38. R. Prasanna – Guitarist; Life Time Achievement Award, 2003 from Shankaracharya Shri. Jayendra Saraswathi swamigal of the Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham.
39 S. Sowmya – MSc 1992 – Carnatic music singer; Sangita Kalanidhi Award—2019.
Please let me know if you would like to continue with the remaining alumni or if you have any other requests.
Humanities and Social Sciences iit madras notable alumni
40. Nirmalananda Swamiji – MTech 1996 – Head of Adichunchanagiri Hills Math.
41 Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj – BTech 1967 – Spiritual leader at Science of Spirituality; retired from Bell Labs in 1989.
42 Balaji Sampath – BTech 1994 – Founder and Secretary of NGO Association for India’s Development India Chapter.
Humanities and Social Sciences iit madras notable alumni
43 Nirmalananda Swamiji – MTech 1996 – Head of Adichunchanagiri Hills Math.
44 Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj – BTech 1967 – Spiritual leader at Science of Spirituality; retired from Bell Labs in 1989.
45 Balaji Sampath – BTech 1994 – Founder and Secretary of NGO Association for India’s Development India Chapter.
46 T. K. Alex – MTech 1971 – Director at ISRO Satellite Centre, Bangalore, 2008–2012.
47 Jayant Baliga – BTech 1969; DSc (Honoris Causea) 2016 – Inventor of the Insulated-Gate Bipolar Transistor; National Medal of Technology and Innovation Award—2010; IEEE Medal of Honor—2014; IIT Madras Distinguished Alumnus Award—1999.
48 Krishna Bharat – Creator of Google News; Principal Scientist, Google.
49 Gururaj Deshpande – BTech 1973 – Founder of Sycamore Networks; Chairman at Tejas Networks; Distinguished Alumnus Awardee from IIT Madras in 1998.
50 Kris Gopalakrishnan – MSc 1977; MTech 1979 – Padma Bhushan Laureate; co-founder of Infosys; President of Confederation of Indian Industry; IIT Madras Distinguished Alumnus Award—1998.
51Ramanathan V. Guha – Inventor of RSS feed technology; computer scientist at Google; won the Distinguished Alumnus award from IIT Madras in 2013.
52 Vic Gundotra – Ex-Senior Vice President, Social for Google; widely believed to be the mastermind behind Google Plus; previously worked at Microsoft.
53 Venky Harinarayan – BTech 1988 – Kosmix co-founder; won the Distinguished Alumnus award from IIT Madras in 2013.
54 Jai Menon – IBM Fellow; CTO and VP, Technical Strategy, IBM Systems and Technology Group; significant contributor to RAID technology; awarded Distinguished Alumnus award by IIT Madras in 2006.
55 Mohan – IBM Fellow at IBM Almaden Research Center and Former IBM India Chief Scientist; famous for his work on Database systems and in particular the ARIES technology; awarded Distinguished Alumnus award by IIT Madras in 2003.
56 B Muthuraman – BTech 1966 – Managing Director of Tata Steel; Padma Bhushan Laureate; IIT Madras Distinguished Alumnus Award—1997.
57 Prabhakar Raghavan – Vice President of Engineering at Google; former head of Yahoo! Labs.
58 Anand Rajaraman – Founder of Junglee and Kosmix.com with Venky Harinarayan; won the Distinguished Alumnus award from IIT Madras in 2013.
59 Raghu Ramakrishnan – Technical Fellow at Microsoft; former Vice-President and Research Fellow at Yahoo! Research; Professor of Computer Science at the University of Wisconsin Madison; won the Distinguished Alumnus award from IIT Madras in 2007.
60 Venkat Rangan – BTech 1981 – Co-founder and CTO at Clearwell Systems; served as Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, San Diego.
61 S. Veeraraghavan – MTech 1971 – Director at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Trivandrum, 2008–2012; distinguished scientist at ISRO and Director, ISRO Inertial Systems Unit.
62 Prem Watsa – BTech 1971 – Founder, Chairman, and Chief Executive Officer of Fairfax Financial Holdings, Toronto, Canada; Member of the Order of Canada; IIT Madras Distinguished Alumnus Award—1999.
Government and Politics iit madras notable alumni
63. Raju Narayana Swamy – IAS Officer; Secretary to Government, General Administration, Sainik Welfare, Kerala; former Commissioner of the Civil Supplies Department of Kerala.
Military and Defense iit madras notable alumni
64 S. Christopher – PhD 1987 – Secretary, Department of Defence R & D and DG @ DRDO; Defence Research and Development Organisation – Outstanding Scientist for 2012; IIT Madras Distinguished Alumnus Award—2016.
65 Sudhir Kumar Mishra – MTech 1987 – Distinguished Scientist & Director General @ DRDO; CEO of BrahMos Aerospace; IIT Madras Distinguished Alumnus Award—2018.
1. What is famous in IIT Madras?
Answer: IIT Madras is renowned for its academic excellence, cutting-edge research, and a strong emphasis on innovation. It’s particularly known for its contributions to science and technology.
2. Is IIT Madras No 1?
Answer: IIT Madras consistently ranks among the top engineering institutes in India and is recognized globally for its quality education and research. Whether it’s considered the “No 1” depends on various ranking criteria and personal preferences.
3. Is IIT Madras or Bombay better?
Answer: Both IIT Madras and IIT Bombay are prestigious institutions with their unique strengths. The choice between them depends on your specific academic and career interests.
4. Who is the richest IIT Madras alumni?
Answer: Determining the richest IIT Madras alumni can be challenging, as personal wealth can change over time. However, several IIT Madras alumni have achieved significant success in various fields, including business and technology.
5. How do I apply for admission to IIT Madras?
Answer: Admission to IIT Madras is highly competitive and typically based on exams like JEE for undergraduates and GATE for postgraduates. Visit the official IIT Madras website for detailed application procedures and eligibility criteria.
6. Can you list some notable achievements of IIT Madras alumni in the technology sector?
Answer: IIT Madras alumni have made significant contributions to the technology sector, including founding successful startups, leading innovation in multinational corporations, and contributing to research breakthroughs.
7. What are some key research areas at IIT Madras?
Answer: IIT Madras is involved in various research areas, such as artificial intelligence, renewable energy, nanotechnology, and aerospace engineering.
8. How active is the alumni network of IIT Madras?
Answer: The alumni network of IIT Madras is highly active and organized, providing mentorship, knowledge sharing, and support to current students.
9. Are there any famous IIT Madras alumni in the field of entrepreneurship?
Answer: Yes, several IIT Madras alumni have excelled in entrepreneurship, founding and leading successful startups across different industries.
10. What notable awards and honors have IIT Madras alumni received?
Answer: IIT Madras alumni have received numerous awards and honors, including Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri, Nobel Prizes, and various international accolades.
the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras) boasts an illustrious alumni base that spans across various domains, from academia and technology to industry and government. The achievements of these alumni serve as a testament to the institution’s commitment to fostering excellence in education and research.
IIT Madras alumni have left an indelible mark on the world stage, contributing to technological innovations, scientific breakthroughs, and entrepreneurial endeavors. Their dedication, ingenuity, and leadership have not only elevated their own careers but have also had a positive impact on society and the global community.
As we reflect on the remarkable achievements of these alumni, it is evident that IIT Madras continues to be a hub of talent and innovation, nurturing future leaders and visionaries. The institution’s commitment to academic rigor, research excellence, and a collaborative learning environment has played a pivotal role in shaping the success stories of its alumni.
In the years to come, IIT Madras is poised to further its legacy of producing exceptional individuals who will drive progress and innovation in diverse fields. The institution’s strong alumni network, combined with its unwavering dedication to excellence, ensures that the impact of IIT Madras will continue to resonate globally.
In this ever-evolving world, the contributions of IIT Madras alumni serve as a source of inspiration, reminding us of the limitless potential of human endeavor. As we celebrate their achievements, we also look forward to the continued growth and accomplishments of future generations of IIT Madras graduates, who will undoubtedly carry forward the institution’s legacy of excellence.